Sunday, May 4, 2014

Review: Outlaw Circus by Alex S. Johnson

http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Circus-Alex-S-Johnson/dp/0692200711/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=httpesselprbl-20&linkCode=w01&linkId=ECAII3ERZHZDYQ4E&creativeASIN=0692200711
I wasn't quite sure what I was going to read when I started reading OUTLAW CIRCUS.  I figured that there would be clowns, bearded ladies, and elephants galore. Boy was I wrong!  Instead I was welcomed by a eclectic grouping of stories ranging from the Bizarre to the surreal. 

The crowning jewel of the book is the final piece, aptly titled Outlaw Circus and co-written by Charie D. La Marr, which takes us on a whimsical ride into controlled insanity.  I absolutely loved it.  The following line from the book will give you an idea of what I mean:

"They rode for hours, the twins on their tied-together horses and the clown and the
wolf boy in a serape and a Mexican sombrero, sharing a donkey" (Outlaw Circus, 2014, p. 84)

Of all the stories in the collection "Mourning Becomes Bizarro" is probably my favorite. What we begin to believe is a somber story about the mourning of a dear friend, quickly takes a bizarre turn (as the title suggests) and blows your mind, thinking "what the hell did I just read?", but in a guilty and satisfying way.

As with any book that is published by JWK Fiction, this was a no brainer to read.  His eye for talent is unsurpassed. If you have read the book, or will be in the near future, I would love to hear about your favorite tale within!

No comments:

Post a Comment