Thursday, May 23, 2013

For The Night Is Dark and Full Circle: Electronic Afterlife Vol.1

Recently I have had the opportunity to read a couple of fantastic books and thought I would share my reviews with you here.

The first is an anthology with an amazing group of writers.  "For the Night is Dark" is a fantastic collection that plays on the fear of the dark.  Published by Crystal Lake Publishing, this is a book that you must add to your collection of horror!


FOR THE NIGHT IS DARK
CRYSTAL LAKE PUBLISHIING




Format:Paperback
For The Night Is Dark is a fantastic collection of short stories by a group of magnificently talented authors! Their ability to capture the primal fear that sometimes suppresses itself inside of us, until the lights go out, is awe inspiring. To fully experience the atmosphere of the collection, I read it from the Kindle App on my Motorola Xoom tablet. The soft glow of the illuminated screen provided the only light within the darkened room. My children were asleep and so was my wife, so it was just me, a cup of hot mint herbal tea, For The Night Is Dark, and my imagination. Losing myself in the visuals provided within each story, the darkness around me closed in fast. Absorbed into the print on the screen I was unaware of the demons that lurked within the shadows of my own house. I was on page 125 when I grabbed my now cooled cup of tea and took a sip. At the same moment, my 6 month old husky puppy decided to howl loudly, signaling his desire to relieve himself outside. Not only did I jump at the unexpected noise, but so did our 7 year old cat, Sakima... Who just happened to be sitting on the back of the couch near my head. The normally stoic feline morphed into a scaredy cat and scratched my face as he ran past me. Well Played Sir. Castiel, Lyric of Oberon (my semi obnoxious husky pup)... well played...

After pulling my heart out of my throat, I let Castiel outside, made another cup of tea, and finished the amazing collection of stories. This is a must read for any horror fan, specially if you are brave enough to read it in the dark and allow your imagination to control your surroundings.


The second is a fantastic futuristic/time travel story by Alfred R. Taylor titled Full Circle: Electronic Afterlife Vol. 1.  Self published through Createspace, you can tell he put his heart and soul into the work!

FULL CIRCLE: ELECTRONIC AFTERLIFE VOL. 1
CREATESPACE


5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by its cover May 23, 2013
When I read Full Circle: Electronic Afterlife Vol. 1, I was a little unsure of what I was jumping into. I was actually able to pre-read it before the release, as my wife was given the opportunity to assist in the pre-reading/editing process. While it was sitting on a table, I picked it up and gave it a shot. I guess I am the "Techy" type, and the use of technology intermixed with the historical aspects of the book melded together seamlessly. My favorite parts of the book were the scenes that centered around Mr. Abe Lincoln, and Mary Todd. I am not sure what the future holds for the next installment in the series, but I could definitely see this becoming a widely popular anime if put in the hands of the right director. Very well told Me. Taylor! My only complaint is the cover of the book. The woman is a bit too stereotypical, and the banner at the top makes it seem like it is from an 80's series (it actually reminds me of an old Choose Your Own Adventure. Of course, as a writer myself, I know that the cover is only a minute cosmetic detail.

I look forward to seeing more works by Mr. Taylor!









No comments:

Post a Comment